Monday, July 28, 2008

The Uncomplicated Life

A young man sat in the break room talking to his boss. The man pondered where he was in life and all the experiences he had gone through. He looked at his boss and asked, "Why is life so complicated?"

His boss answered in a matter-of-fact tone, "Life is not complicated. We make it complicated."

The man let the answer sink in and realized his boss was right. That one simple statement rang truer than anything he had ever heard.

Life really isn't complicated. We complicate it with our choices-and sometimes it is complicated by the choices of others. Life is meant to be enjoyed and we can best do that by making choices that produce good consequences, thereby claiming for ourselves an uncomplicated life. It is that simple.

Thought For The Week


An affirmative thought is a hundred times more powerful than a negative one. So think positive!

Suggested Reading


Book: Enjoying the Journey: Steps to Finding Joy Now
Author: Jaime Theler & Debbie Talmadge
Publisher: Cedar Fort

As Latter-day Saints we strive for joy in eternal life - but many struggle to find joy during the journey there. Let this book help you learn to rejoice and find more joy right here, right now. Clearing away the clutter, staying in touch, and living with purpose are only a few of many tips this book provides to help you enjoy your journey through life. Specific steps in each chapter will guide you through important principles and help you apply them to your feelings, thoughts, and actions.

Reach for your full potential as a child of God and find the joy the Lord intends for each of us during our journey back to His presence. Jaime Theler, author of Parenting the Ephraim Child, has provided this delightful and heartwarming message for any who need a lift!

This is now one of my favorite positive thinking books and it is one that everyone should read. It really helps to put this life in perspective.
Enjoying the Journey can be purchased by logging on to http://www.cedarfort.com or http://www.amazon.com

Book: A Modest Proposal
Author: Michele Ashman Bell
Publisher: Covenant

All my life I had dreamed of changing the ordinary girl's world of fashion by designing modest formal gowns-ones that you'd actually want to wear. With my super-hero stitching I would save you mothers and daughters crying in dressing rooms over yet another "the straps are just too small" prom dress. Don't worry, I even thought of a catchy tagline for my brand: "Modest Is Hottest." I told you I was good!

So I moved to New York and am finally living that dream . . . Well, almost. I am at one of the top fashion companies, and my designs are definitely modest-but let's face it, when it comes to outerwear, would you want to buy a skimpy trench coat? Didn't think so.

Even though I don't have my dream job, my family is a mess, and my love life stinks, I have a feeling things are going to change. I mean, they have to soon, or I'll be forced to marry Jace. I did promise to become his wife only if I turned thirty and was still single, but I honestly didn't think it was possible. Now twenty-nine, I'm cutting it way too close. Right now I'm flying back to Utah for our Butterfly Girls reunion. And since it is the Mormon Mecca, I might find myself a modest proposal. Utah engagements can take mere weeks. Never mind, I'm not that desperate. Really.

But maybe the girls can help. We've been best friends since high school. We Butterfly Girls are not the typical Pink Ladies, although we've definitely had our share of drama. We'll laugh and cry over memories, from pageant glory to tragic endings, but the ones stored inside our butterfly box will surprise you most. We only open it when we're all together, and our lives never seem the same after.

I really enjoyed this story and I look forward to the next book in the series. Michele, write faster!:o)
A Modest Proposal can be purchased at any LDS bookstore or by logging on to http://www.amazon.com

Order your copy of my new YA fantasy The Journey by logging on to
http://www.jadamsnovels.com

2 comments:

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Good idea! Make life simple! It's just so darn hard for me to say, "No." My visiting teacher said, "Shirley, sometimes you have to say 'no' to fun things."
Who thought up THAT plan?

Jewel's Gems said...

I used to never say no, too, but my husband taught me how to. He's such a good influence;o)