Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting to Know Wendy S. Hales

They are so many amazingly talented authors out there and I've been privileged to meet and get to know a few of them. Wendy Hales is one of these awesome writers. Her book Immortal Becoming (The Enlightened Species Book One) is a fast-paced paranormal romance that is very much on the steamy side, which will appeal to some and some it won't. Wendy is not only talented, but bubbly and exudes so much fun, you can't help but smile when you talk to her. She was gracious enough to answer some questions and help us get to know her better.

Wendy, tell us a little about yourself.

Wendy: I'm a small town girl! Family is everything even when they drive me out of my mind. My husband and I own a coffee shop that keeps us both busy and it's a lot of fun too. Our children are grown and moved out. Awww the peace of an empty nest is bliss. I have two granddaughters and a new grandson. Grandchild are parents reward for surviving our kids teenage years! I have a Boston Terrier named Tank. He thinks he's big so I gave him a big-doggie name rather than crushing his ego. My husband, however, doesn't feel the same. He's saddle Tank with the nick-name Freaktard. I love golf, I've also found pounding the drums of a good game of Rock Band quite liberating.

See what I mean? You're just oozing with the fun gene:-) When did you start writing and why?

Wendy: Honestly I can't remember a time I didn't write. I got an D in English and an A in creative writing (Figures, they didn't grade on grammar.). Needless to say that is the most difficult part of the craft for me. Luckily I have MAD check writing skills when it comes to paying people far more qualified than myself for things like that while I continue to learn. I passed math by writing a paper on some abstract math theory rather than actually doing my homework. The only thing I excelled at where sports and writing. I try not to take the gift of storytelling for granted, but it comes very naturally. Writing mechanics will be my task master for life. I read my first romance novel when I was eleven I still remember the title, Skye O'Malley. Grounded at the time, I pillaged it out of my mom's personal book stash. Way too old for me but I've had a love affair with romance ever since.

I can relate. I was reading Harlequin at twelve and couldn't get enough of them:-) How did you come up with Immortal Becoming?

Wendy: I had an idea for a story about some of the different species I'd created for past short stories written for personal amusement coming together in under a symbiotic dream. I narrowed them down to represent Earth with 'pre-enlightened' humanity. Air with winged vampires with a Latin based name of Volaticus (The Hulven/Elven race definitions developed later). The center of the earth with Tellus, and the Aquaties have water. I researched for months to create the different social spheres, demographics, strife, lifestyles, communities etc. for each species. Looked for Lore, Myths, legends, psychic abilities that could be applicable to each one, then strove to make them benefit and need the others in some way. Ironically I built the world before Jess & Shane were glimmers in my mind. Truth is, I never set out to write a novel, let alone a series. When Jess started poking in my head incessantly, I listened. After a while, I saw finishing my first full novel as a challenge.

Do you have any upcoming projects?

Wendy: I do! Shadow Revealed, The Enlightened Species Book Two will hopefully be released this month. Shadowed Magic, A Novella of The Enlightened Species is targeted for End of May/First of June. Fires Touch, The Enlightened Species Book Three is what I'm currently writing.

Busy, busy lady. Thanks for taking the time to let us get to know you better. Immortal Becoming is available on Amazon.com

7 comments:

Tiffinie Helmer said...

Great post! Wendy, it was fun getting to know you better. I, too, was introduced to Harlequin when I was 12. My mother actually handed me a book (she'd never read one) to get me out of her hair. It worked.

Sandy L. Rowland said...

I love how you're a fighter, Wendy!
Never giving up is key to making it.
Hang in girl, and keep writing.

And we're all learning.

Wendy S. Hales said...

Thanks Jewel for inviting me today. Funny how you can get down with all your inadequacies when you know it will be primarily you're peeps that are going to be reading it!

Tiffinie I shoved Harry Potter at my son for the same reason.

Sandy, I love you! You are so positive and inspirational all the time.

Joelene Coleman said...

Late to the party, but hey, I'm here. So fun to learn about new authors. Love "Tank the Freaktard." Looking forward to Wendy's next book and yours, too, Jewel.

stanalei said...

Wow, Wendy. Amazing world building. I'm in awe of your research. Thanks for sharing this glimpse into your story process. Best of luck on your new release and future projects.

Sandy said...

I loved the post, even though I'm a day late. It happens a lot when I'm on digest.

Betsy Schow said...

I'm gonna have to put this on meading bucket list. Thanks for the intro Jewel :)