Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thanksgiving Memories

With the great Turkey Day approaching, I've found myself trying to remember the Thanksgivings of my youth. Sadly, there wasn't a whole lot to remember, at least nothing that really sticks out in my mind.
Sure, there was the traditional turkey dinner at my grandparents' house when family would crawl out of the woodwork and eat their fill, then go back to their respective homes. There was no talk of gratitude or remembrance of sacrifices of family members who had passed on. No memories were made . . .

Until I grew up and had a family of my own.

I truly understand what Thanksgiving is all about now, because I have so much to be thankful for, and I strive to recognize the blessings of each new day. I'm making memories and traditions with my own family. So now when I think of holidays as a kid, I no longer feel like I missed out on anything. I have everything and more, and hopefully my children will have good memories of our family holidays to treasure when they are older. I hope they will look back and feel grateful.
Because that's what Thanksgiving is all about:-)

Suggested Reading

Book: Roots
Author: Alex Haley

The Book
Tracing his ancestry through six generations - slaves and freedmen, farmers and blacksmiths, lawyers and architects - back to Africa, Alex Haley discovered a sixteen-year-old youth, Kunta Kinte. It was this young man, who had been torn from his homeland and in torment and anguish brought to the slave markets of the new world, who held the key to Haley's deep and distant past.

This author's story (both the book and the movie) never gets old. And since I've now been bitten by the genealogy bug, I can't help feeling grateful again to Alex Haley for writing this story and sharing his journey, and instilling the desire in blacks to understand where we came from and trace our roots. Because of my own desire to know my ancestors, I feel a renewed appreciation for them and the trials they faced.
You can find Roots at your local bookstore or Amazon.com

Be sure and download your free copy of The Journey and Place In This World by clicking on the links to the right!

2 comments:

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

Thanks for the reminder, Jewel. We used to go around the table and have everyone say something they're thankful for, but my favorite memory didn't come until after I was married. I decided to have Thanksgiving with everyone at my small apartment that year. I'm the oldest, so several of my siblings were still young. That year, I remember saying I was thankful my dad had taught me how to garden--it had become a necessity--but as soon as I said it, my little brother groaned and exclaimed, "Don't say THAT!" I had to smile. Perspective is everything.

JoAnn Arnold said...

As always I enjoyed reading your blog. It brought back memories of thanksgiving that live on in my heart.

Also I loved the move "Roots"