Monday, November 2, 2009

To Thine Own Self Be True

I watch young people a lot and it's sad when I see some of them making poor choices and going against everything they have been taught. It's even sadder when we adults do. That's why it's so important to be true to ourselves-more important than we could ever know.

Here is a neat thought I found on staying true to yourself.

"When you are true to yourself, your mind gets all steeled up. Most importantly, it has nothing to fear, no one to bow to. This is because when you are true to yourself, you always do things that are just and right. And when you do everything fair and square, you have nothing to fear. Thus, being true to your own self makes you fearless.

Being true to yourself gives you a good feel. You look at people and things without prejudice, and do unto them what you feel is right and not what they do unto you. These deeds fill you up with contentment, self-confidence and esteem, which in turn make you hold your head high. You are not just the first amongst equals - you are way too far ahead than being just number one.

When you are true to yourself, you automatically start speaking the truth - all the time. That kind of wins you respect from others - they start looking up to you and cling on to every word you say.

Jim Davis once said, "The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable." And he is right. The path to truth is strewn with thorns - but after the initial few steps, these thorns cease to matter - in fact, they are gone with the wind. So, go right ahead and be true to yourself, because truth will not hurt you; it will awaken your soul. Just try it."
Kevin Sinclair

Suggested Reading

Book: Santa Maybe
Author: Aubrey Mace

If you're looking for a fun holiday read, this one is for you. Aubrey was kind enough to answer a few questions for us.

Me: Aubrey, tell us a little about yourself.

Aubrey: I like sunshine, gardening, travel, reading, writing, baking, naps, chocolate, fortune cookies, and spending time with my family. I'm a Leo, but I'm kinda shy and introverted, so I'm the worst Leo ever.
Me: What got you into writing?

Aubrey: Reading is probably what got me into writing, I think. For as long as I can remember, I've been a voracious reader. I remember writing a few little stories in elementary school, but I really started writing short stories in college. It's still such a thrill for me to go into a store and see a book one the shelf with my name on it.
Me: I loved Santa Maybe, and so did my 12 year old daughter. I also think there are a lot of single women out there who can relate to Abbie and would love to have Santa leave them a husband under the tree:-) How did you come up with the story?
Aubrey: There's a lot of me in Santa Maybe. I'm single and I started thinking, wouldn't it be so easy if a man just showed up on my doorstep and saved me the trouble of seeking him out? And then I thought, as great as it sounds, I think it would really throw you for a loop. This is exactly what happens to Abbie, the main character. Her younger sister Grace is always pestering her about why she doesn't date more, so when she comes up with this crazy scheme of Abbie asking Santa for a husband for Christmas, Abbie goes along with it more to humor Grace than anything else. Imagine her shock when she finds a handsome stranger with amnesia under her tree! A tiny part of her is intrigued, but mostly she's in a turmoil because now that she has this seemingly great guy, she's not sure what to do with him. Of course, much hilarity ensues-- it's a really fun story. On a side note, I actually asked Santa for a man one year, but I wasn't as lucky as Abbie. Looking back, I think maybe I should have been less specific-- I asked for Daniel Craig. :)

Me: Ha! You and millions of other women:-) Do you have any other projects in the works?

Aubrey: I am working on a novel about heaven, but unfortunately I'm in the midst of a six-month + stretch of writer's block. I've got about half the novel written, I think, and I even know the ending-- I just can't seem to write it. Hopefully, I'll get back on track soon! This is the longest I've gone without writing something every day for years.

To purchase Santa Maybe, log on to Amazon.com or Cedar Fort.com

Get your free copy of The Journey and Place In This World by clicking on the links to the right!
Also, check out the book trailer for Janette Rallison's YA novel My Fair Godmother!

1 comment:

JoAnn Arnold said...

As always I enjoy reading your blog. thank you